Monday, August 1, 2011

Mexican Babymoon

Dane and I decided after a year of being married with a baby on the way that it was time to get away and do a little vacation just the TWO of us.  It just so happened the only time I had available to go was squished between a weekend in Chicago for Amanda's baby shower and a week in Florida for work. 

We started our week away by getting up at 3am so we could make our 6am flight.  Once in Houston, TX we had an almost 4 hour lay over which was BRUTAL! 

This is how I spent the 4 hours:


Our flight from Houston to Cancun was uneventful (minus me grabbing Dane's arm due to turbulence and the jerk that was sitting in front of us) and upon arrival and getting through customs we headed outside to find our shuttle. 

Upon walking outside, this is what I experienced:


Who knew that they would have a bar outside for people to grab a drink before getting on the shuttle!  Good thing though, because Dane and I didn't realize it was going to take almost 2 hours to drive to our resort.  I have to say it was the LONGEST 2 hours of my life after traveling all day because we rode with a guy who did not stop talking for more than 3 seconds the entire trip!  Once we got there we checked in and found out we got an ocean view room and after dropping our stuff off we promptly walked straight down to the beach to get a little sun (even though it was after 5pm).  The resort was enormous and we absolutely could not have had access to a more beautiful beach.


We originally thought we would do at least one excursion while we were down in Mexico, but after the first day of relaxing on the beach we realized we didn't want to do anything else but relax!  Dane was required to wait until at least noon before having his first beer since it was all you can eat/drink :)

Don't worry I didn't drink that beer...I was just holding it for Dane :)

We were allowed 3 a la carte dinners while we were down there, so we scheduled them as soon as we arrived.  Ironically we arrived in Mexico and our first a la carte dinner was at an Italian restaurant!  The food was good but I was hoping for some authentic Mexican cuisine!  The next night we tried the Mediterranean restaurant which we were not very impressed with (the "salad bar" consisted of fried fish sticks and other food that is most definitely not Mediterranean).  After a disappointing dinner the night before we had reservations at the gourmet restaurant on the resort which turned out to be AMAZING.  We started dinner with a small appetizer plate (bruschetta and a piece of shrimp), a fig salad, chicken broth and vegetable soup, Dane got the salmon and I had the grouper, and everything was finished off with an amazing apple tarte (which surprisingly Dane ate!!). 
The sun was setting and we ran back to our room because it was so beautiful over the water:



I'm including this picture because you get a good idea how much my tummy is growing!



We managed to avoid getting TOO sunburned, but we didn't avoid it all together.  We got a little toasty the first day and then spent the rest of the week alternating between sitting mostly under the shade of the umbrellas at the beach and swimming in the ocean. 

We alternated between THIS...

and THIS


 
Our trip back started at 2:40am on Sunday and after 2 plane rides and sitting in an airport all day I could barely walk off the plane in Indianapolis because my ankles were so swollen.  I managed to get home and barely eat dinner before I was in bed at 7pm trying to recover.  Although it was a pain to travel as long as we did it was an amazing trip that I am so glad we got to experience!  Next time I won't be pregnant and can have a margarita and maybe go on a snorkeling excursion!



1 comment:

  1. OMG I love those prego pics and all the beachy-ness! So glad you had a chance to get away!!!

    ReplyDelete